Monday, March 31, 2008

New Flag for Australia?!

Before I shuffle off this mortal coil I want three things of Australia:
I want us to become a Republic,
I want one particular man as President, (I'm not revealing my choice yet)
and I want a new Australian flag.

It is obscene that we have the Union Jack on our flag. Not that I'm anti-Pommie, I'm not really, though I think people from Great Britain have a lot to answer for in dominating much of the world for many generations. (I am descended from Scots and Poms myself.)

The push for the Republic, and with it the initiative for a new flag, came to a dead halt when the Republic Referendum was lost, thanks to duplicity by the previous horrid government, of which I don't even want to think about any more. But now it's time to breathe new life into the movement, and one thing that I can do on my own is to try to come up with a new flal design.

Everybody, including me, likes the Southern Cross, Crux, the most spectacular of all constellations. It comprises five stars, Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta and Epsilon Crucis, all except one of which is either first or second magnitude. No Australian flag would be thinkable without the Cross, and that fixes the base colour to blue, with white stars. But that alone will not satisfy a desire for a gutsy flag. It seems to me that there is one emblem which is so obviously deserving of featuring on our new flag that there shouldn't even be any debate about it. The Kangaroo!

(More anon.)

No comments: