Friday, January 9, 2009

Fanta-Pants, Mollydookers and Tessellomaniacs

How many nicknames are there for redheads . . ? . . Mostly I don't care a hoot, they're fun, Fanta-Pants, Ranga, Ginger, Blud-Nut, Blue, I don't care, though Carrot-Top is pretty wet, carrot tops are green. But one young RH woman told me recently a couple of her workmates had started calling her Med-Head, I reckon that's really pretty nasty, no other interpretation. It sounds really actionable to me, I reckon they better look out, especially since she had attitude worthy of her flaring curls, and she was both embarrassed and a bit laughingly resentful. Lighthearted insensitive ridicule or real hatred, it seems to me to be right over the top in terms of abuse, I resent it too, both on her and on all RH's behalf.

Similarly there are lots of names for Left-Handers. Kack-Handers, Mollydookers, South-Paws, isn't it funny how minorities get nicknamed and often treated with suspicion just for being in whatever little way distinguishable from the herd! Like Red-Heads, Left-Handers through the ages have often been persecuted as children of the Devil, the very word 'sinister' is Latin, originally meaning simply 'left', but just look at what it has come to mean through phobic
associations. I'm both redhaired and lefthanded, just as well for me I'm not living in the Middle Ages, I'd be barbecued quick smart eh.

Anyway MC Escher noted an interesting thing about Left-Handers: I remember reading that at one stage the Dutch burghers (if that's the word) named a group of (I think) 22 young local trompe l'oeil graphic artists whom they regarded as outstanding, and it turned out that (I think) 17 of them were left-handed. Escher himself was too, and he speculated that the extraordinary predominance of left-handers in that group was more than coincidental. He was quite fascinated, and said that he'd like to investigate the phenomenon further sometime. I don't think he ever did, but it does seem to me to offer a tantalizing avenue for research. As a result of reading this I asked Andrew Crompton, a noted English tessellator, if he was left-handed, and Yes he is. It may be for example that the brain-scrambling effects of being left-handed in a right-handed world tend to turn people from more ordinary forms of communication and towards pictorial ones . . . or is that drawing a long bow . . ? . .

2 comments:

Minty Andee said...

Professions and hobbies that require a lot of creativity tend to contain large groups of left handed people because creativity is associated with right brain functions, which controls the left side of the body. Thus people who are creative tend to be right brain dominant and there for left-handed.

Anonymous said...

hi, im a student and i was wondering how long did it take you to draw the kangaroo and australia tessalation??? thanks