Saturday, December 27, 2008

Julia Gillard, my fave rave Ranga !

About Julia Gillard. I'm a ranga myself, and sort of proud, well I mean I didn't make my own genetic makeup, just as Julia Gillard and Pauline Hanson and QE 1 and Cameron Ling didn't, but I'm sure not ashamed either. In the absence of other considerations - like poor ignorant Pauline's misguided bigotry, cynically encouraged by Howard and his goons - I love redheads fraternally and see them a bit as Us-against-the-World. People who despise us, envy us, abuse us in their own colorist ways can burn their eyes on us, suck eggs you drongos. As for Julia, I delight in the fact that she is not only articulate, clever and humorous, that she is manifestly mistress of all her huge jobs, that she is hard as nails, that she is at least the best most devastating Parliamentary performer since Keating, (and for mine funnier and more ideologically magnetic too), and a fellow Croweater to boot, as well as all that she happens also to be cute, beautiful, smiley, vivacious, and a full-on ranga! I wouldn't care much if she looked like Monica Attard, (no offence Monica, all Australia is in your debt for your nous, you are one of the best pundits ever); Julia or Monica or you, O Neanderthal Cameron Ling, it's not your looks that really count, it's the way you do your jobs, you're all brilliant. But the kicker is, in an Australia where there are so many such creeps, women included, as those who slag off women on their physical appearance, I doubt whether Julia would ever have made it as far as she has, her splendid attributes notwithstanding, if it weren't for her comeliness. It doesn't say much for our society, but it says a lot about it.
Go Julia. You are uniquely gifted, and we are collectively in awe of your energy, your wisdom and your wicked wisecracks, as well as your lovely red hair, your magically mobile mouth, and your quick foxy pretty facial expressions. Liberals too, they're hardly game to ask you questions in the House, they know you'll grab their slings and arrows and send them back pronto with verve and accuracy and devastating power and wit. You're really something Julia, and Australians who care about the real issues have great hopes for and expectations of you. The cleverest funniest political comments I have heard in decades are both about the starcrossed and be-Labored Peter Costello. One was the pithy "All tip and no iceberg!" by Paul Keating, the other was by Julia, in the House, on the eve of publication of Costello's memoirs: Gillard in answer to a question revealed that she had visited the website of his publisher, whose motto is, hilariously, "BOOKS WITH SPINE"! Do you reckon Julia had fun with that! She went on to speculate on the menu at the launch of poor Peter's book: "Prawns?" she said, "No spine there . . . " You can just imagine how rightwing bigots such as Ackerman and Bolt feel about her! Tee Hee, you'll do me Julia, I mean that in the nicest possible way. I speak for so many others when I tell you how much I admire you. Our homegrown bite-size Boadicea, you are, our diminutive champion, taking the fight way past the creeps, Howard and Reith and all their ilk, who have so damaged Australia in the past twelve years. The only way they can think of attacking you are just snide and wet and stupid, typical of their side. I delight in their discomfiture as you bore it up 'em. Viva Julia!

No comments: