Tuesday, December 9, 2008

More about Rangas

Since my long-past last posting (and to my amusement) quite a lot of "Ranga" folklore has surfaced, and all quite suddenly.
For one thing, I found out that it is actually a recent Australian-invented word, having made its debut in Chris Lilley's astounding ABC TV series Summer Heights High (for which he has just won 3 AFI awards.) There is a little redheaded kid, a Year 7 I think, that one of Chris's 3 personae taunts with the term. Today you may buy "Sorry Ranga" T-shirts from the ABC, that's Australian Broadcasting Corporation, not the American ABC.

Then in October the Adelaide Zoo offered free admission to Rangas for the school holidays, in celebration of the first anniversary of the Orangutans' installation there. I went with two full-tariff-paying non-Rangas, (none of us would have gone at all except I was curious about what sort of response there would be to the free offer, so from us the Zoo got two fees instead of none), and what fun it was, grinning Rangas everywhere, one in ten or so instead of one in 90 or so. We shone!

There's more to this Zoo story though, but I'll leave it for another posting.

No comments: