Sunday, December 28, 2008

Tessellations, a la Escher

Amongst other pursuits I have managed to devise quite a number of animalesque tessellations some of which are very pleasing. (I received a lot of help from Kangaroos, which I adore, having raised joeys.) Platypus, Cockatoos, Leafy Sea-Dragons, Elephants, Big Cats and lots of other things gave me a hand too. Tessellation really just means tiling, (as in floors). At its simplest it is an invention which almost certainly and necessarily pre-dates the wheel. It's also described by Mathematicians as 'the regular division of the plane', for which reason I labored to make a Plane-tree leaf tessellation, both the pun and the design are quite 'nice' too in the true meaning of the word. When I emailed a copy to Jill Britton of Canada, who runs a wonderful educational website, I failed to mention that it was supposed to be a Plane-tree leaf, I just said Here's my new tessellation Jill, and she replied next day that she loved the Maple Leaf tessellation! Well if it makes a clever Canuk gal happy I'm not about to disabuse her. Anyway you may find many of my designs at www.ozzigami.com.au where you may also see some of my other stuff. Enjoy the trip! To view many more from other artists as well as me look at Dutchman Patrick Snels' website, one quick way to find his gallery is just to Google the words tessellations knights . My own 'Big Game' is well out in front as No.1 in the list, I'm a bit tickled about that even though it's far from my favourite amongst my designs. There's also quite a few of my others scattered through his site, including my own favourite, Two-Roos. Well worth the trip if you like the work of MC Escher !

1 comment:

Thingy26 said...

That is an awesome tessellation (even with filled in gaps.) for a first one